GREEK CUISINE RECIPES
Bean soup (Φασολάδα)
- Good source of proteins
- High in fiber
- Lots of antyoxidants
- Excellent source of folate
- May reduce the risk of cancer
Tips & tricks
White bean soup is one of the healthiest dishes in Greek cuisine. This soup recipe is very tasty and filling. High in fibre and full of vitamins, its a great alternative when you wish to cut down on meats.
Beans must be boiled for a few minutes and left to soak in the hot water over night. Next morning, discard the water. To make the soup more flavorful you may replace the water with pork or chicken stock. If you like the soup to be thick increase the amount of vegetables used in the recipe, but our recipe does give you a thick soup, so try our version first.
- Chop the vegetables as shown in video.
- Heat the olive oil and begin sautéing the onions and garlic.
- Sauté for 5 minutes or until transluscent.
- Add half of the salt and pepper.
- Add the water.
- Add the white beans.
- Add the oregano, and remaining salt and pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Continue boiling the beans at medium heat until 70% cooked.
- Next, add all the vegetables. Add a bit of sugar (Optional)
- Bring to a boil and then add the herb.
- Continue cooking until all vegetables are done, about an hour or more.
- At this point the bean soup is ready.