GREEK CUISINE RECIPES
- Beets purify the blood
- Beets can significantly lower the blood pressure
- Beets are low in calories
- Beets contain high amounts of vitamins and minerals (folate & manganese)
- Beets have anti-inflammatory properties
- Beets can be used to treat constipation
Tips & tricks
- Before boiling, trim off the root, separate the leaves and cut into smaller pieces. Wash under running water to remove any dirt.
- Select beets that are quite firm, and are red and have bright green leaves.
- Also select beets of the same size or cut them in equal-sized pieces for even cooking.
- Add the beet greens after having boiled the beets for 1 hour.
- Once the beets are done, wash them while stil hot under cold running water to easily remove their skin.
- Cut the beet greens in smaller pieces, as shown next.
- Wash thoroughly all beets and beet greens.
- Boil the beets first for an hour with pot covered.
- Once boiling begins add 1 tbsp of salt.
- After 1 hour of boiling, add the beet stems and continue boiling for another 10 minutes or until beet stems are tender.
- After 70 minutes add the beet leafs. Boil for 5 minutes more and you are done.
- While the beets are still hot, gently wash beets under cold running water and scrub off the outer skin.
- Add oil, vinegar, salt and minced garlic to taste.
- Beets go extremely well with skorthalia (Garlic sauce or dip).