GREEK CUISINE RECIPES
Cod fish with vegetables (Μπακαλάος με λαχανικά)
- Cod is an excellent alternative to meat
- Cod is a good source of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids
- Cod fish helps prevent heart attacks.
- Controls high blood pressure.
- Protects against Alzheimer’s disease
Other related topics
Tips & tricks
Bakaliaros plaki involves cooking dried salted cod in the oven. The first step to making bakaliaro plaki involves the removal of the salt from the cod.The procedure takes about 24 hours. The deliciousness of this dish comes from a single spice that is added in this dish. If you want a really delicious side dish of oven-baked potatoes, you may follow this recipe's ingredients (just omit the fish).
If the pieces are not similar in size, some pieces will be saltier than others. To avoid this, use two separate containers,one for the smaller pieces and one for the larger pieces. To be sure, taste the fish for saltiness prior to removing from water.
- The first thing we must do is to remove the excess salt from the cod.
- Cut the fish into pieces of equal size.
- Prepare the cod as shown in the video.
- Cut the potatoes in small pieces, place in a pan, and set aside.
- Pass the tomatoes in a food processor and then set aside, as shown.
- Coarsely chop the garlic and the onions.
- Add the oil and begin sautéing the onions until transluscent.
- Add the garlic and continue sautéing it for about a minute more.
- Add the tomato purée and continue sautéing.
- Add the sugar and spices.
- At this point, taste for seasoning; Better to be on the unsalted side, because the fish is still quite salty.
- Next, chop the herbs and add in the tomato mixture.
- Sauté for another few minutes, and pour the sauce onto the potatoes.
- Add some water into the pan.
- Bake at 350 F for one hour or until potatoes are 80% done.
- At this point, add the fish.
- Moisten the fish by pouring some liquid onto every piece as shown next.
- Continue baking at 350 F.
- After 40 minutes the fish is ready (total cooking time; 1 hour and 40 minutes.