GREEK CUISINE RECIPES
Eggplant pie (Μουσακά)
- Abundant source of proteins
- Abundant source of carbohydrates
- Abundant source of fats
Moussaka tends to be high in calories due to the fat in the minced beef and the eggplants and the pototoes being fried. The Sauce is also quite rich, consisting of milk, some fat and some flour.
Tips & tricks
Out of all Greek Dishes, Moussaka is by far one of the most popular. It is similar to the Italian dish lasagna, as it is also a hearty casserole. It can be made with meat or vegetables, in fact the vegetable version is a very delicious vegetarian dish.
There are many quick Greek recipes available both on the internet and in popular cookbooks. Every country in Greece has it's own unique version of Moussaka, so be ready to discriminate between numerous Greek Cuisine Recipes to find the right recipe you want to use.
A good Greek recipe includes some of the most important ingredients in Moussaka: white bechamel sauce, eggplants, potatoes, tomatoes, and minced meat, if you aren't making the vegetarian version. You can replace the meat with other vegetables of your choice.
The most popular Moussaka version is made with four layers. Moussaka is baked until the top layer is browned.
- Cut the eggplants in thick slices.
- Cut enough eggplants to cover two layers of the pan.
- Cut just enough potatoes to cover two layers of the pan.
- Season the potatoes with salt and mix well.
- Fry the potatoes (80% cooked) and place them onto a colander to drain excess oil over night.
- Do the same with the eggplants. Fry them and let drain in colander over night.
- Next, we will prepare the meat filling.
- Let filling simmer at low heat for another 30 minutes or until the juices have evaporated, shown next.
- Set aside for now.
- Oil the pan.
- Spread the potatoes at the bottom of the pan.
- Spread the eggplants on top of the potatoes.
- Spread the beef filling over the eggplants.
- Set aside for now. Next, we will prepare the cream.
- Pour the cream onto the beef filling and you are done.
- Bake at middle oven rack at 350 F for 1 hour or until desired color is achieved, shown next.