GREEK CUISINE RECIPES
Fried brains (Mυαλά τηγανητά)
Tips & tricks
This is usually eaten as an appetizer, but quite rarely.
- Rince the brains thoroughly.
- Season with salt and blanch the brains by boiling for a few minutes, while skimming the surface as needed.
- Next, discard the water, and rince with cold water. If applicable, remove any large membranes or nerves as possible, shown next.
- Be gentle when removing any nerves because you can very easily tear large chunks off, as shown. If you cannot remove them, leave as is.
- Add fresh water and lemon juice, and bring to a slow simmer.
- After 20 minutes, remove from water, cut in small pieces and set aside.
- Next, we will prepare the batter.
- Dip each piece in the breadcrumb mixture.
- Discard any remaining breadcrumbs.
- Fry the breaded brains in preheated oil.
- Fry for a few minutes per side, or until a nice color develops.
- Add lemon juice to taste (the more the better).