GREEK CUISINE RECIPES
Greek-style lasagna (Παστιτσιο)
Pastichio (Greek-style lasagna)
- Abundant source of proteins
- Abundant source of carbohydrates
- Abundant source of fat
Pastichio tends to be high in calories due to the fat in the minced beef. The Sauce is also quite rich, consisting of milk, some fat and some flour.
- Good source of protein
- Good source of vitamin A
- Good source of vitamin D
- Good source of iron
- Good source of selenium
- Good source of zinc
For detailed information on benefits of eating beef, what better source than Nutritionist Michael Joseph explaining the benefits of eating beef.
- Excellent source of Vitamin A
- Excellent source of the antioxidant lycopene
- Good source of Vitamin C
Milk (Bechamel sauce)
- Excellent source of calcium
- Excellent source of riboflavin (B2)
- Excellent source of Vitamin D
- Excellent source of Phosphorus
- Excellent source of Vitamin B12
- Good source of Selenium
- Good source of Potassium
Tips & tricks
Pastichio is the Greek equivant dish of lasagne. Its taste is very different from lasagna, and the recipe varies from one home cook to another. It’s a dish made with bechamel sauce, minced meat, pasta and spices. This dish is one of our 5-star recipes enjoyed by children and adults alike that will never go away.
- In about 2 liters of waters, add one tsp of salt and turn heat on high.
- Once the water is boiling add the pasta (Misko #2).
- Cook the pasta slightly less than al dente, because it will also be cooking in the oven.
- Allow the pasta to drain and set aside for now.
- Add just enough oil to sauté the onions and garlic.
- Sauté for about 5 minutes or until onions become transluscent. Set aside for now.
- The beef with all additional ingredients added, will be sautéed for about 15 minutes.
- Add the beef mixture in the already semi-cooked pasta.
- Thoroughly mix the meat, butter and pasta.
- Lightly oil a pan.
- Add the beef/pasta mixture into the pan.
- Next, make the cream by following the instructions in the video.
- Once sauce thickens, as shown, it is ready. Remove from heat right away.
- Pour the cream onto the meat/pasta mixture.
- Bake at bottom oven rack at 350F for 2 to 2 1/2 hours or until the cream has a nice brown color.