GREEK CUISINE RECIPES
Green beans with vegetables (Φασολάκια στο φούρνο)
- good source of vitamin C
- good source of vitamin K
- good source of fiber
- good source of folate
Tips & tricks
Sautéing the green beans and cooking them in a roaster makes a huge difference, in terms of taste.
- Thoroughly wash the green beans. Make sure the green beans are dry prior to sautéing them, simply to prevent splattering when you drop them in the hot oil.
- Cut both ends of the green beans.
- Remove the skin from the tomatoes, as shown. One way to remove the skin from the tomatoes is by scrapping the surface of the tomato with a knife until the skin becomes wrinkled. Then you may easily peel off the skin.
- Season the potatoes with some of the salt and pepper.
- Distribute the potatoes evenly over the green beans.
- Add remaining clarifying butter, and begin sautéing the onions.
- Chop the fresh herbs and set aside for now.
- Add the garlic and sauté for another minute.
- Add the tomato paste and sauté for another minute.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, season with some of the salt and pepper, add the sugar, and sauté for another 3 minutes.
- At this point, add a flavorful liquid and olive oil. Continue sautéing another 5 minutes.
- At this point, you may add the herbs and continue sautéing another minute.
- Bake at 350 F at middle rack for 2 hours covered, then un cover and continue baking for another 45 minutes or until most of the juices have evaporated.