GREEK CUISINE RECIPES
Lamb offal soup (Μαγιριτσα)
Tips & tricks
Lamb contains more fat than beef, but lamb fat is healthier than beef fat.
- Blanch the offal for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- While the offal is blanching, coarsely chop the shallots.
- Under continuously running cold water begin rinsing the offal
- Add water in a pot
- Chop the offal into small cubes.
- Heat some oil in a pan to begin sautéing the offal.
- Lightly season with salt and pepper.
- Sauté for about 10 minutes.
- When ready, pour the sautéed offal into the water, specified in the recipe.
- Leave some oil in the pan in order to sauté the shallots.
- Sauté the shallots for about 5 minutes.
- Pour the sautéed shallots in the soup.
- Add the herbes and seasoning.
- Allow to simmer at medium -low heat for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, add rice and cook another 20 minutes or until rice is done.
- At this point, taste for seasoning (salt & pepper). Add if needed.
- Once the soup is ready, add the Greek egg/lemon sauce.