GREEK CUISINE RECIPES
Lamb offal wrapped with intestines (Γαρδουμβες)
Tips & tricks
Offal includes most internal organs of the animal.
Lamb offal is a dish which consists of pieces of lungs, liver and heart all wrapped with the small intestines of the lamb. This dish can be baked in the oven (best tasting) or grilled on charcoal. This meal can be prepared on easter when whole lambs are available in most Greek supermarkets.
The intestines must be cleaned thoroughly as shown in video.
Allow the intestines to simmer in the water just enough so that they are no longer slippery (a few minutes).
Do not overcook or the intestines will be braking (breaking) apart when wrapping the offal.
- First thing you must do is to thoroughly wash the intestines inside and out.
- Once done, thoroughly rinse the intestines under running water.
- Once rinced, if you will not be making this dish, seal rinsed intestines in a zip lock bag and place in the freezer for later use.
- To prepare 'garthoubes' (Γαρδουμβες) you will need the already prepared intestines and lamb offal.
- Rinse the already prepared intestines one more time along with the lamb offal.
- Prepare two pots of boiling water. One for the intestines and one for the offal.
- Allow the intestines to simmer in the water just enough so that they are no longer slippery (a few minutes). NOTE: Do not overcook or the intestines will be braking (breaking) apart when wrapping the offal.
- Once done, rinse with cold water and allow to dry.
- Boil the offal for 5-10 minutes or until 50% done.
- Once done, cool the offal with cold running water to prepare it for cutting.
- Cut the offal lengthwise around 3-inch pieces, as shown.
- Next, we will prepare the marinade for the 'garthoubes'. Mix well and pour the marinade over the chopped offal. Mix thoroughly until marinade is distributed evenly all throughout every piece.
- Mince the garlic into the offal, and mix well.
- Take one piece of lung, liver and arteries and wrap with sufficient length of intestines.
- Repeat procedure until all offal and intestines are used up.
- If you wish you may omit the offal and simply make a braid out of the intestines (still very delicious).
- Whatever is left over pour it over the garthoubes.
- Add a bit of water.
- Bake at 350F at middle rack, for 30-45 minutes, until slightly colored.
- After 30-45 minutes, turn 'garthoubes' over and continue baking for another 30-45 minutes or until all the juices are gone.
If this Greek recipe is of interest to you, you may watch our video with step by step instructions and precise ingredient amounts; Learn how to make 'garthoubes' (Γαρδουμβες) lamb offar wrapped with intestines