GREEK CUISINE RECIPES
Okra with vegetables (Μπάμιες με λαχανικά)
- Helps digestive system
- The high fiber content in okra makes you feel satiated (you get fuller quicker)
- High in calcium
- High in protein
- Lowers bad cholesterol
Tips & tricks
Okra is a vegetarian main dish of which is very delicious dish if done the correct way. Okra is baked in the oven with tomato sauce. This dish may include potatoes, and/or lamb or chicken. The recipe is very simple but there is a trick to it.
Cut the top of the okra but make sure you do not pierce through. Use only whole okra, (discard any broken or pierced okras).
- Follow okra procedure as displayed in the video
- Clean the tip as shown, but make sure you do not pierce through.
- Coarsely, chop the tomatoes, and set aside.
- Add the onions and sauté for about 10 minutes or until transluscent.
- Add the garlic to the onions.
- While the garlic/onion mixture is sautéeing, rince the okra, for a few seconds.
- Distribute the sautéed tomato/onion mixture onto the ocras.
- Cook at 350 F at bottom oven rack for about 2 hours or until all juices have evaporated and only the oil is left in the pan.