GREEK CUISINE RECIPES
Rabbit with onions in tomato sauce (Sτιφαδo)
- Excellent source of protein
- Excellent source of Iron
- Excellent source of Vitamin B6
- Good source of Potassium
- Good source of Magnesium
Tips & tricks
Stifatho is a very delicious dish and it can be made with rabbit, meat, chicken or fish. The authentic recipe is with rabbit. This dish is like a stew and it is made on the stovetop with lots of perl onions as the main ingredient.
Why you should eat rabbit?
It is one of the best white meats on the market today. It contains the least amount of fat, in relation to other meats, contains lot’s of protein, is practically cholesterol free, low in sodium, and relatively high in calcium and phosphorus.
- In order for the onions to remain whole, cut this side of the onion but not the other.
- Cut all the onions the same way. Wash and set aside.
- Next, cut the rabbit in smaller pieces.
- Rince the meat with water, as shown next.
- Leave rabbit in colander for 10-15 minutes to get rid of excess water.
- Next, you must let the rabbit soak for 15 minutes.
- Coarsely chop the garlic as shown.
- Saute the onions for about a minute or two at medium/high heat and immediately add the rabbit, shown next.
- Add the salt and pepper.
- Next, we will add the some red wine and continue sautéing.
- Take a little taste to make sure all the alcohol has evaporated, prior to adding the tomato sauce.
- Next, add the water/tomato paste mixture, still on medium high heat.
- Add some more water and tomato paste. Lower the heat to medium.
- Next, immediately add the sugar and spices.
- Continue sautéing the onions and remove each one individually when done, shown next.
- Set onions aside for now.
- Sauté the potatoes the same way for 2-3 minutes.
- Set potatoes aside for now.
- At this point, add the sautéed potatoes and whole onions.
- Add some vinegar.
- Simmer at medium-low heat for another hour and a half with cover on, or until only the oil remains.