GREEK CUISINE RECIPES
Roast lamb with potatoes (Ψητό αρνί με πατάτες)
- The benefit of eating meat with potatoes is the increase feelings of satiety. This meal is meant to be eaten on occasion due to the high fat content of lamb.
- The big question Is meat bad for you? No it is not, if and only if you limit the portion size. Having a 4oz meat portion (or less) with a huge garden salad is a very healthy combination for you. Meat and potatoes eaten together is again not a bad combination if portion size is taken into account. Baked or boiled, potatoes are packed with fiber and vitamin C. One small potato, again, with a huge garden salad along with a 4oz meat portion is extremely healthy.
Tips & tricks
Leave about 1/2" layer of fat to protect the meat from drying during baking. Marinade the meat over night in the fridge and allow to rest at room temperature for a few hours before baking.
This recipe is extremely simple but with amazing results.
- Chop the garlic in thin slices, as shown.
- Mix the salt and pepper and use some of the mixture to season the garlic.
- Cut the meat if necessary so the meat will fit your roaster.
- Pierce the meat and add the seasoned garlic into each cut.
- Temporarily place the meat in a platter.
- Add one layer of potatoes to the bottom of the roaster.
- Mix the salt, pepper and spices and season the potatoes.
- Add the oil specified in the recipe.
- Place meat on potatoes.
- Brush the meat with clarified butter specified in the recipe.
- Season both sides of the meat with salt and pepper.
- Add the lemon juice specified by the recipe.
- Cover the roaster.
- Baste the meat every 30 minutes for the first hour and a half.
- Bake at 350 deg. F at middle rack, for 2-3 hours or until meat and potatoes are very tender and until all juices have evaporated and only the oil is left in the roaster.