GREEK CUISINE RECIPES
Spinach pie (Σπανακόπιτα)
- Excellent source of Vitamin A
- Excellent source of Vitamin B6
- Excellent source of Vitamin C
- Excellent source of Folate
- Excellent source of Niacin
- Excellent source of Calcium
- Excellent source of Phosphorus
- Good source of Vitamin B12
- Good source of Vitamin B6
- Good source of Selenium
Tips & tricks
Spanakopita is the equivalent of spinach pie and it’s still one of the most popular in-between-meals Greek snack or appetizer. It can be eaten warm or cold, for breakfast or for lunch, it can be eaten as an appetizer or as a main course. The filling consists of chopped spinach (and other vegetables) and feta cheese all of which is wrapped with phyllo dough and baked in the oven until golden brown.
- Cut the ends off, wash the spinach thoroughly, and allow spinach to dry over night over clean towels.
- Start kneading the dough for about 5-10 minutes.
- Cover with plastic wrap and allow to sit over night in the refrigerator.
- The next day, finely chop the spinach and shallots and set aside for now.
- Oil the pan as shown.
- Cut about 6oz of dough to make the first phyllo dough layer.
- Next, thin the dough using a rolling pin.
- Once the dough reaches desired thickness and is larger than the pan's diameter, place dough over pan as shown next.
- You will have to do five phyllo dough. Two for the bottom and three for the top.
- Crumble the feta cheese and set aside.
- Beat the eggs and pour them into the spinach mixture.
- Add the shallots and half the feta cheese to the spinach mixture.
- Add the herbes into the spinach mixture.
- Reserve half of the feta cheese in order to add it at the very top when the spinach mixture is in the pan.
- Cover the top of the spinach mixture using the excess dough hanging over the sides of the pan.
- Always apply some oil to each phyllo dough.
- Add your first phyllo dough on top.
- Cut off the excess dough (hanging over the sides of the pan) and place it under the phyllo dough, as shown next.
- Here we are adding the third and final phyllo dough.
- At this point, preheat the oven to 350 F
- Cut the top phyllo dough layers as shown. Do not cut the phyllo dough layers at the bottom of the pan.
- Cook at the bottom rack for about 1 hour and 45 minutes or until the dough has a good color.
- If the dough developed a color prematurely, place a foil on top and continue baking.